We’re seeing more scam emails pretending to be staff members. We saw the same thing earlier in the year. The scammers in this case are trying to trick people into buying gift cards. They change the display name on the email to look like it came from an actual employee.
- Always be suspicious of emails asking for something unusual.
- If you think it may be legitimate, reach out to the person through a known method.
- Look at the sender’s address – the ones we’ve received so far have been Gmail accounts.
- Mark any messages like this as spam/junk
- The best defense is remaining vigilant – no technology can stop every scam.